Mercedes de Acosta (1893-1968)
LGBTQ+ poet, playwright, and novelist.
Quote: “Nothing that is beautiful is easy, but everything is possible.”
- Mercedes de Acosta was born in 1893 in New York City to wealthy Spanish immigrants and was the youngest of seven children.
- De Acosta became involved in several lesbian theatrical circles of Broadway in her early 20’s, which inspired her to become a playwright.
- She was known for wearing trousers and pointed shoes instead of the corsets that were popular in that time.
- In her autobiography Here Lies the Heart, she never explicitly spoke on her romantic relationships with women, however many of the women still felt outed and shunned her.
- She passed from illness in 1968 in New York City.