Welcome to the 5-minute recap of HERdacity’s August 2020 Webinar, Let’s Change the Conversation, with speaker Sam Barrow.
We want to share with you our biggest takeaways from this webinar – BUT these are by NO means all the juice this webinar holds, so if you like what you hear, check out the full webinar by clicking here.
Let’s get to it!
First off, let’s meet our speaker Sam.
- Sam is an educator and trainer with a strong background in operations, planning, and personnel development.
- She spent seven years in hospitality before transitioning into the education industry, pursuing her passion for making education accessible.
- She believes continued education is a fundamental need and right for every adult, and that learning doesn’t end with high school or college.
- Over the last ten years, she’s dedicated her time to developing, implementing and improving operational strategies, while maintaining a focus on continued personal and professional staff development.
- Most recently, she served as Senior Director, Program Operations for a fast-growing startup in the education startup space.
Now that we’ve met Sam, let’s jump into the takeaways!
#1. Communication Styles and Methods
Understanding and clearly articulating your preferred communication method and style can be extremely powerful and liberating.
#2. Intentional Language
This is important because all language is nuanced. Words have personal and cultural significance that can influence the way your message is received.
#3. Inclusive language
Intentional is not the only component of communication, another is inclusivity. Despite your best intention, you can end up offending or excluding your audience.
See you next time!