Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811-1896)
American abolitionist and author of Uncle Tom’s Cabin
Quote: “Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.”
- Harriet Beecher Stowe was born in 1811 in Connecticut. She was one of thirteen siblings.
- Stowe attended and taught at the Hartford Female Seminary, one of the few schools that educated women in that time.
- After the death of her 18-month-old son, Stowe was able to understand the heartbreak of slave mothers and started to write on the plight of slaves.
- Her novel, Uncle Tom’s Cabin, was an overnight success and sold 10,000 copies in its first week.
- Stowe passed in 1986, surrounded by her family.